Wednesday, September 23, 2009

To Remove One's Self

What did I want to say about removing one's self? I always forget. I seem to forget a lot of things nowadays: the days flitting by, sometimes even eating, sometimes going to bed, sometimes taking the right steps. But I can't say that I'm unhappy; it's rather interesting how things work out even when, in the most extreme connotation, I'm doing absolutely nothing. And yet, when I do take the time to step back, I am doing so much. I guess that's what happens when one works seven days a week.

But removing one's self. Something this morning stirred, as if telling me I should write about it, and, yet, it seems I can't even explain it well. What I do know is it's not as scary as it sounds, nor does it mean the extreme asceticism and martyrdom that connotes with the statement.

Removing one's self means, I feel, means to always be a step behind one's self; be a distance enough away so you can always be aware of one's self and the surroundings. Through this, you become aware of your emotions, which are always valid, and aware of everything going on around you. Through this awareness, you gain a certain kind of sensitivity to the world around you, and, I feel, you begin to enjoy simple things that truly are enjoyable. Earth is a reflection of Heaven, if we all just take the time to look.

What are the benefits to this? It helps one see one's self, for one. All the emotions, all the thoughts, all the positives and negatives and stimuli that flow through our minds are more easily seen when we take a step back. Without judging, without renouncing, without binding ourselves to petty self-made rules or the rules of society, we can simply see what our thoughts are doing to ourselves, but without letting these emotions -- both positive and negative -- influence our actions. Like a cool flame, we can have emotions but always be aware of the consequences. It's not easy, but, through it, we can still be passionate about many things, yet possess the clear-mindedness to always make the most loving and sensitive of decisions for everyone.

Other benefits? Well, I like to think being able to feel each step one takes on a road, then it changing to a gravel path, then it changing to crunching leaves, and then finally changing into grass brings unique joys of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment